Click here to Get a Quote


Call For A Quote Now
0800 612 5764

Unoccupied House insurance picture

If you need Unoccupied House Insurance then The Home Insurer can help. No matter how long the period of vacancy we can deliver insurance to make sure your property is protected. From 1 to 365 days a year, we can deliver Unoccupied House Insurance to match your needs.

It’s the same if you are a landlord and need Unoccupied House Insurance for a void period or while you undertake works. If you have an empty property during probate we can help with that as well. All you have to do is click on the Get a Quote button and fill in the quick quote form.

The Home Insurer specialises in delivering the best cheap unoccupied house insurance in the UK for any type of property or situation. But make no mistake, cheap does not mean low value, it means low cost – but at the same time we only deliver the very highest quality insurance policies underwritten by big UK insurers and household names you can trust.

Unoccupied House Insurance – The Facts

You will only need Unoccupied House Insurance if you own a property in the UK that is empty for a period of time. Most standard home insurance policies will cover unoccupied properties up to 30-days. That means if you go on a four week holiday, your standard residential buildings and contents insurance will continue to protect your property in your absence. Don’t worry, if you need less than 30-days empty property insurance, The Home Insurer can deliver as it offers a price guarantee on standard home insurance in the UK. Simply click on the Get a Quote button or call on the number above.

Empty Homes insuranceIt is after 30-days vacancy that you will need specialist unoccupied insurance. This is when the risk of financial loss increases and insurers need to adapt your policy to meet those risks. According to the charity Empty Homes, there are around 1-million vacant houses in the UK at any one time. Of those, around 300,000 are long term empty for various reasons. All of these properties need unoccupied insurance to deal with any damage, theft, vandalism or problems that arise through being left unattended, such as burst pipes and fire hazard from failing electrics.

A good guide to whether or not you need unoccupied insurance can be found at The Property Insurer.

It’s important to note if a property is empty but you are carrying out extensive renovations or refurbishments, then specialist renovation insurance is what you need, not unoccupied insurance. This allows for the vacancy but also covers risk to the building, materials, plant and equipment that are on site. Most good renovation insurance will also provide liability cover for anyone attending the property. Again, The Home Insurer can help with some of the best renovation insurance in the UK, simply click to get a quote or call.

Unoccupied insurance will also offer liability against people hurting themselves at your property when it is empty, alongside most of the other risks and perils that standard home insurance will deal with.


Empty Home Insurance is only over 30 days

Do not make the mistake of thinking that your standard home insurance will cover a period of vacancy greater than what it states in the schedule oThe Telegraph & empty house insurancef the policy. If you have 30-days cover for an empty property, don’t think 31-days will be fine as it is inevitable that on the 31st day a disaster or accident will happen and you could have any insurance claim refused. The good news here is that you can sometimes upgrade your home insurance policy to unoccupied insurance easily and cheaply via your existing broker. Check your schedule and policy before calling your broker and ask them how much it will cost for additional cover that you need. The less additional empty property insurance you need then the less it will cost. The Telegraph published a good article on unoccupied insurance with some worth reading advice.


What is Unoccupied Insurance?

So what is unoccupied insurance in its basic form? It is buildings and contents insurance for a property that is left empty for a period of time. You can find a good explanation of what buildings and contents insurance is here at the Association of British Insurers. This is exactly the same for unoccupied properties but bear in mind there are things that you can do to help reduce the cost of insurance that make common sense. You wouldn’t normally leave a brand new 60-inch curved LED TV in an empty flat for 12-months. If you know you are going to be away for a long period of time, over three months, then you will want to remove high value items and reduce the contents insured sum. The lower the contents insured, the lower the price of the unoccupied insurance.

So if a normal property has £50,000 of contents and you are leaving a property empty for a long time, you should try to reduce this down to £10,000 or less – it could make hundreds of pounds of difference to your contents insurance cost. This is very much understandable as the opportunity for theft, squatters, electrical fire or burst pipe damage is much greater in an unoccupied property and claims will be more likely.

The buildings element of unoccupied insurance is the same as a residential property. And again there are things you can do to reduce the cost of your insurance. The rebuild cost of the property is likely to be the same regardless, however, if you install a monitored alarm, join a neighbourhood watch scheme and have a neighbour check on the property frequently, then the chances of making a claim are less. In the case of the alarm and neighbourhood watch, they can also apply money saving discounts to the insurance.

Unoccupied home insurance is more expensive than normal home insurance. The insurance has to be more expensive because the risk and the claims losses are higher for obvious reasons – there is no one present to take care of the building. But you can still get Cheap Unoccupied House Insurance with the Home Insurer. We can tailor make insurance to meet your needs and exact period of vacancy.

Big price comparison sites like Money Supermarket claim to offer price comparison on unoccupied insurance but this is questionable and down to definition. Put simply, they do offer a form of comparison if you are ready to visit their list of brokers and insurers and call each one individually. Google offers a similar search result. The important thing to note is that the provider at the top of the page may not be the best empty home insurance provider. In these cases they are paying a cost per click or cost per acquisition for every policy bought. That can be very expensive with brokers paying maybe £40+ just to get your quote. They have to make that money back from somewhere so it will be added to the cost of their policies.

There’s nothing wrong with marketing for unoccupied insurance and The Home Insurer does market for this business itself, but you need to understand that big brokers with deep pockets may not offer the best unoccupied insurance for you and may be simply able to buy the space regardless of insurance quality. Always read the schedules and make sure you are buying the cover you need.


Vacant Home Insurance for landlords

If you are a landlord who has a property that has lost its tenants and you are actively marketing it to get new tenants, it’s good to know most landlord insurance policies will allow at least 30-days vacancy. Good policies know that void periods will happen so they build in 30-60-days vacancy as standard in case it takes longer than you hope. You will need to check your landlord insurance policy carefully to find out how many days you are allowed and if you think you will need more, then you should contact your broker and ask for an extension. This will normally lead to an increase in price if needed though, or a switch to a specialist unoccupied insurance policy. If you need landlord insurance, give The Home Insurer a try, it has market beating rates available.

At The Home Insurer we try to make switching between policies as easy as possible. So whether you are a resident or a landlord, if you need unoccupied insurance for a period of time we will apply it to your property. Then when you want it to revert to standard home insurance or landlord insurance, you simply let us know and we can then rebate any unoccupied insurance charge not used. So not only will you be paying a low initial price, if you don’t need all the cover, we can stop it early and refund you cash that is unused.

This is particularly useful if you have an unoccupied property going through probate and waiting for refurbishment, sale, rental or inheritance. A lot of inherited property will be unoccupied and you will need empty property insurance straight away on it. That can be applied while the property is under the control of the solicitors and we can assist there as well, providing excellent cover at a reasonable price. Then when the property ownership is transferred to you, new unoccupied insurance can be arranged. Certainly, if there is a mortgage on any property, then it needs to be insured as a term of the loan. In these cases if you don’t arrange unoccupied insurance you could have the property repossessed by the bank and sold.

So now you know if you need unoccupied insurance and have some idea on how to reduce the cost of it and how to shop and buy it. You also know the alternatives that are available in renovation and landlord insurance. But what about a very long term unoccupied property – can you get cover for that as well?

The fact is most unoccupied insurance is sold on a 3/6 or 12-month policy. It can sound very expensive to buy but imagine the alternative if a fire razed the property to the ground when it was empty. Could you afford to rebuild it and put in new contents from your savings? Not many people could. The cost of the insurance is very effective in those occasions.


Average cost for Empty Property Insurance

The average home insurance in the UK costs around £200. The average cost of unoccupied insurance for three months may cost £400. That is a big difference, but if the average rebuild value is £200,000 and had to make a claim to rebuild the whole property at £200,000 then the £400 policy will seem very cheap indeed. It is all about cost and benefit.

If your property is at serious risk of theft because of its postcode and is a long term vacant home, or if it is on a flood plain or in an area of severe history of subsidence, then you may struggle to get specialist unoccupied insurance. The risks combined are very large, but in these cases The Home Insurer can help again with basic peril insurance. Basic perils are explained well by Synonym.

Effectively basic peril cover is buildings cover stripped to a bare minimum. This is protection against things like fire, lightning, hail, wind and damage caused by aircraft and vehicles. So things like subsidence and floods may not be covered. In the case of a basic perils policy, you will be insured against major losses but not against them all. In any case, this remains a better option than no insurance at all for most home owners and will normally satisfy a mortgage lender. Basic peril cover may be all that you are offered if you are at extreme risk, so always read the schedule and offer of insurance carefully to make sure it is right for you.


Get a quote

The Home Insurer for vacant property insurance

To buy Unoccupied House Insurance for a property you own, rent out, are going to buy or you operate as a buy to let and rent out, all you have to do is visit The Home Insurer. It takes about two minutes to fill in the quick quote form and then you can either buy online or via the expert Unoccupied House Insurance adviser who will call you to make sure that everything fits your needs and the price is as low as it possibly can be for the right amount of cover.

The Home Insurer wants to get you the best vacant home insurance policy at the best price, with the most trusted UK underwriters in case you ever need to make a claim. It wants to make sure you are happy with your insurance because when the property is either populated or let out, it wants to help save you money with your new insurance then as well.

Remember, Cheap Unoccupied House Insurance means low cost, not low quality with The Home Insurer. Click or call for a quote today to see how much money you can save and get your empty property protected.



Our Blog

Unoccupied House Insurance and Flood Insurance

March 21st, 2016

IF you have Unoccupied House Insurance, what happens if you live in a flood risk area? The answer is straightforward, you need to add flood insurance to your policy. If you don’t then you will potentially face financial ruin if the flood waters rise, it is that important.   Can you buy unoccupied and flood […]

Unoccupied House Insurance and second homes

March 2nd, 2016

IF you own a second home you may need Unoccupied House Insurance for the periods of time you are not using it. Your need for insurance will be determined by how long you are absent from the property. This is your guide to getting the Unoccupied House Insurance and second homes. Holiday homes If your […]

How to reduce the cost of Unoccupied House Insurance

February 18th, 2016

BECAUSE your property is empty doesn’t mean that you cannot do things to reduce the cost of your Unoccupied House Insurance. There are effective things you can do to protect the property and encourage insurers to reduce the cost of cover. Unoccupied House Insurance is based on risk Insurers like to work on a risk […]

Unoccupied Insurance for over 30-days

February 11th, 2016

WHEN it comes to Unoccupied Insurance 30-days is a magic number that all homeowners need to note down. This is the period standard home insurance will normally cover your property while you are absent. Less than 30-days absence If you leave your home empty for 30 days then you are most likely going to be […]

Do you need Unoccupied House Insurance whilst on holiday?

February 1st, 2016

IF you go on holiday, will you need Unoccupied House Insurance? The answer is thankfully straightforward. If you go away for more than 30-days, then almost certainly you will need Unoccupied House Insurance. Anything less than 30-days and your normal home insurance policy should cover it. But you do need to check the policy wording […]